President Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta has suspended learning in all institutions in Kenya, In a press briefing at Harambee House, the head of state also ordered for the closure of learning institutions from Monday, March 16, for day primary and secondary schools whereas boarding schools were given up to Wednesday, March 18, to suspend learning. This is to curb the spread of corona virus which have affected three people so far.
President Kenyatta gave the following directives:
- Suspension of entry to Kenya by people from all countries affected by the Covid-19 disease for 30 days, only Kenyan citizens and foreigners with permits will be allowed into the country provided they quarantine.
- Self-quarantine of all people who have entered Kenya over the last 14 days. They should go to hospitals for checks should they exhibit symptoms
- Suspension of learning in all institutions.
- Primary and secondary day schools will suspend operations from Monday with boarding schools doing the same by Universities and tertiary institutions will be closed by Friday.
- Government offices and businesses to allow employees to work from home.
- Use cashless transactions to prevent the risk of transmission through physical handling of money.
- The public to avoid congregating and visited crowded places such as malls.
- Asked hospitals, malls and other such establishments to provide soap, water and sanitizers.
- Traders of stern action against hoarding of goods and unfair price increases.